When summer comes, nothing feels better than making a good outdoor barbecue with friends and family. However, you must choose the type of grills that will be used. For example, wood grills are an excellent option for those who like to cook meat.
Best wood grills on the market
Why a wood grill?
Having options such as charcoal or gas grills may not call much the idea of those who use firewood. But, do you know the advantages that these types of grills have for you? They can be a much more interesting option than you imagine:
- Many models: some types of grills have a limited catalog. On the other hand, wood grills have dozens of options, adjusting to the
- It can be mixed: What if you bought a mixed grill? Many models allow cooking with charcoal and firewood. In this way you can experiment and decide with which of the two you like to cook more.type of cooking of each person. What do you like to take with you? Portable models are sold. Move it from side to side to make the most of the sun? The models with wheels to move them are simple. Of course, there are also fixed, brick or stone models.
- An adequate price: the idea of buying a wooden grill is rejected by many, which will mean the cost of wood. However, the models are so economical that it is a safe long-term investment.
- Better taste for food: wood improves the taste of food much more than a gas grill. In addition, you can cook any type of product, be it meat, fish or vegetables.
- Different types of firewood: as with coal, in the market you can find different types of wood to use on your grill. Each one is perfect for a type of food and will give a different flavor to your dishes.
- It can be mixed: What if you bought a mixed grill? Many models allow cooking with charcoal and wood. In this way you can experiment and decide with which of the two you like to cook more.
- Lasting: the important thing when buying a grill is that it will last a long time. The wood grill can be iron or work grill. These are painted with thermal paint, which helps maintain the calorific value of firewood.
What kind of wood can you use on a grill?
It is true that in the United States there are many types of wood, so it is not difficult to find one that you can use for the grill. However, we must first distinguish between the different types. They are usually grouped into two categories:
Hard: Hard firewoods are those that come from trees with great hardness and resistance. They offer the best grills for grills, and fantastic calorific performance. Hardwood is considered as wood, oak, olive or oak.
Soft: unlike the previous ones, these last less time and less embers are obtained. It is not as powerful as hardwood. Therefore, it is intended for the preparation of fast dishes. Softwood trees are considered as softwood, except orange, which is considered hardwood.
In some areas of the United States, another type of wood is used, such as branches or vine branches. These are used for the preparation of paellas or roasts. They require great fire control, so only expert chefs are able to use them.
What is the heat capacity of each type of wood?
At first, a rookie can get used to a wood grill a bit, since controlling its calorific value is important. In addition, we must think that there is wood on the top, oak, olive, orange, almond … more than a dozen types that can be found in any store.
According to what type of dishes will interest one that has more heat capacity than another. For example, if the meat is very thick, it will be better to use one of greater power, however, if it is for a meat such as hamburger, the one with less power is the most interesting option.
Ordered from highest to lowest, this is the heat capacity of each type of wood:
- Above: 4900
- Chestnut: 4800
- Elm: 4790
- Oak: 4690
- Olive Tree: 4678
- Beech: 4630
- Pine: 4557
The hardest wood tree firewood has the highest calorific value. Like lighting a fire or a fireplace, you must consider the ability to heat to achieve the most delicious dish.
In some stores you may be sold what is known as “green wood.” A much cheaper wood, but that has less calorific power and that emits a rather unpleasant white smoke. It is not the best option when cooking.
How should you light a wood grill?
Remember, it is always better to use firewood from a hard tree, and, of course, that it is always dry. It is often said that the best wood for grill has had to be 6 months outdoors, under the sun. This helps you lose all the water it contains. It should not have branches, nor green leaves or twigs. If they do, this will cause a thick smoke, and it will cost much more to light the grill.
Once you have the wood in your grill, light the wood and with the help of some shovels or iron tongs remove until the coals form. The light can carry more or less the same as coal, but you must watch it well to avoid burning the fire.
Where should we locate this type of grills?
Since this type of grill generates a lot of smoke, its location should be ideal. In the case that you are going to build a construction site, if you buy it with a hood you will not have to worry much about the smoke and you will have more freedom to choose its location.
However, if you buy an iron grill, you will have to go with a little more care. Put it away from doors and windows, in an outdoor area where you don’t have the wind against it, or the generated smoke will bother you when cooking. Although many grill models have a lid, some dishes are tastier if cooked without it.