For many years, charcoal grills have become the perfect companion for those who liked to cook outdoors. Today there are few restaurants that continue to serve food cooked with coal. But why? How many advantages do they have? Does it taste so good to meat?
The best charcoal grills of 2019:
What are the advantages of charcoal grills?
Until recently, cooking with charcoal grills was common. And although over time people have opted for other options, the truth is that a grill that uses coal today is much more recommended than other models:
- It is very economical: There are dozens of models in the market, which adapt to the needs of each person. Of course there are models that are expensive, but there are others that are quite cheap and interesting.
- Its fuel is cheaper: The time when buying coal was almost prohibitive has come to an end. In addition, it is much healthier now that charcoal is used for these types of grills.
- It has a high calorific value: Although gas or electricity can reach high temperatures of approximately 300 degrees, nothing resembles the calorific value of coal. This can reach a temperature of up to 500º, perfect for roasting.
- Easy to transport: Charcoal grills are much easier to transport from side to side. In other types, such as gas, you have to think about grills plus the bottle. It can be taken anywhere without taking up much space.
- Different nuances to the taste of meat: Depending on the type of coal used, the meat gets a unique and different flavor. As if that were not enough, the smoke generated by the coals also helps the taste of the meat to become something special, with a texture that cannot be achieved with other types of grills.
- You can cook with firewood: That it is a charcoal barbecue does not specifically mean that you should use only coal. Many people use firewood to make their dishes in these fantastic grills, and enjoy a great chat with that pleasant smell of burning wood.
- Different levels of cooking: Most modern models of charcoal grills allow you to raise, or lower, the level of the coal bed, as well as the grids on which meat and vegetables are placed. Thanks to this, different cooking levels can be achieved at different speeds.
- Easy to clean: Until recently, cleaning a charcoal grill could be a real headache. However, today many of them have a “one-touch” function, which allows quick and efficient cleaning in a short time.
What do you have to look at when buying a charcoal grill?
Choosing a grill is quite complicated, as each person needs specific characteristics to meet their needs. However, there are a number of common characteristics to look at when buying a charcoal grill:
- Barbecue or grill… don’t get confused !: Many people think that a grill is the same as a barbecue, when in reality they are very different. If you go to the store and see a barbecue without a lid, it is not a barbecue. It is what is known as grill. The barbecues have a lid, to cover the ingredients and that they are made with the heat of the interior. Even if you use coal, but it has a lid, a charcoal grill will not interest you much.
- Will you take it with you ?: Choosing one of the many charcoal grill models on the market will depend on the type of use you are going to use. If you are going to take the grill when you go on a trip, you will be interested in a model that has wheels. However, if it is for your terrace, or garden, you can save by buying a fixed grill.
- What type of fuel will you use ?: Be careful here. It is true that most models are mixed and allow wood and coal to be used for heat. However, some models are exclusively for use with coal. You will have to ask before buying it. We explain to you how to choose the best charcoal for grill and to obtain a true professional result.
- How much are you willing to spend ?: By looking at charcoal grill catalogs you will see that there are many prices. Do you really need to buy the most expensive model? Of course not, because you can go for somewhat cheaper models. If it is for a garden, or when you travel, buying a small charcoal grill will have more than enough. For garden, if you like to make family meals, you should still look for a larger design.
Where should we place your charcoal grill?
Before proceeding to buy a charcoal grill, you have to think, do you have enough space to have it? Not all houses offer you the space to have one. So, what do you need to consider to locate your grill?
- The wind direction: Generally, the wind direction does not play an important role when using charcoal grill, since it closes the lid so that the meat is made better. But what if you tried to cook with the lid open? The wind can be a great inconvenience in the process, so you have to look for an isolated area, or where the air currents are not very large.
- Find an area near a tree: Be very careful with this. It’s nice to cook on a barbecue near a tree, but you don’t have to stick to it. It is necessary to look for a point where it is possible to be under its branches cooking, but at a prudent distance so that, if any embers jump, a fire does not occur
- A protected area that isolates the noise: Not all the neighbors find it pleasant the noise that can be made when making a grill. For this reason you have to have fences or bushes that isolate the noise.
- The perfect size: it is generally recommended that the location area of a grill, whether in the garden or on the terrace, be at least 10 square meters, so that you have enough space to comfortably enjoy the kitchen in Your fantastic appliance.
- Will the smoke annoy you ?: Think that the grill generates a lot of smoke, and that this with the wind will move. That is why you have to locate it away from doors or windows, to prevent odors from entering the house. Also, it is not good to cook right next to the place where you are going to eat, because it will bother your guests.
- In a garden or terrace ?: Certainly, having a charcoal grill means you have to think a lot about the best place to install it. In the garden you can have it, but it has to be located on a floor of slabs and free of vegetation. On the terrace it is always a better option, but this has to give a clear area and that the wind does not come from the front, to prevent the smoke from entering the interior of the home.
- How about a kitchen grill ?: Today there are some grill models that can be installed in kitchens and prepare dishes as they used to be. Why not try them?
Is it easy to clean a charcoal grill?
Many people throw the idea of buying a charcoal grill a little behind because they are difficult to clean. However, the most modern models allow simple, fast cleaning and save a lot of time in the process.
The steps to follow to clean a charcoal grill are:
- Start by removing the ash and the remains of embers that have remained after the roast. These may be somewhat attached to the grill walls, so you will have to use a spatula to remove them.
- Having already removed all the ash, it is time to get rid of the remains of the food that may have remained stuck. Special brushes for grills can be used for this. In addition, in stores there are also special liquids for this process. Some are specific to what barbecue model.
- Having removed everything, it is better to let the grill dry out in the open. Or you can use a dry cloth to remove the remains of the cleaning product.
How often do you have to clean a charcoal grill? The truth is that the ideal would be to clean it well after each use. But that you do it once a month should be enough to have it in good condition. If you remove the remains of food, preventing them from sticking, the area of the embers can be cleaned less frequently.
Are they better than other grills?
Certainly, charcoal grills have many advantages, and in some ways it beats other grill models. For example, the calorific value is greater, certainly, and the smell of firewood required is pleasant. In addition, it gives a different texture to meat. And, of course, it is much easier to transport, not needing a strong external power to operate.
But, perhaps, its biggest drawback is controlling the amount of coal. With an electric or gas you don’t have to think about controlling the amount of coal you have left. Maybe it’s a catch. Even so, the attraction of these barbecues is that you can experiment with different types of coal until you find the one that gives the meat the best flavor according to your personal taste.